Tuesday, May 7, 2013

OK, so not my photo today, but I've just got home and had to wash my hands immediately as they smelled bad. I was nearly home when the car in front of me slowed down as it passed a massive turtle in the middle of the road. I stopped, got out of the car and walked over to the humungous snapping turtle who was looking a little bewildered. The car in front had stopped completely and cars were building up behind me. I couldn't leave him there so hoping for the best I bent over and picked him up. He weighed a ton but I turned him over and looked all over, not noticing any injuries. Carrying him to the side of the road I had to put him down for a bit as he was so heavy but then lifted him again and staggered down the bank to a small stream by a fence. Placing him down by the water I backed up and saw about 8 or so cars sitting and watching with smiles. And once again I thought myself so lucky to be living in the countryside where folks don't honk you for blocking the road to help a fellow traveler, and I also thought how lucky that turtle was that he wasn't crossing a road in NoVA. Oh, and by the way, the dude was about two thirds of the size of the turtle in the photo above, huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment